Monday, December 5, 2011

Bell's Brewery

 

Recently I was lucky to get an opportunity to visit Kalamazoo's Bell's Brewery and go on a tour of the facility.

What started as a modest brewing operation by Larry Bell, Bell's Brewery has grown into one of Michigan's famous craft beer empires. Bell's is famous for (among others) their Oberon and Two Hearted brews, but what was interesting about visiting in person was the number of beers that are ONLY served in their Kalamazoo pub. When ordering off their beer menu, the beers noted with the yellow Bell's logo are pub exclusives.

 

I was not feeling well the morning I visited, so I played it safe and ordered the Lager of the Lakes. I now know that I detest any type of lager; this one was good for a lager but overall light and not memorable (also pictured is the Winter White Ale). If I could do Bell's again I would order a flight of their stouts, as I'm kicking myself for not trying the Smoked Stout and the Milk Stout.

Bell's production, which was once done on the Kalamazoo grounds with the pub, has been moved to a larger facility in Comstock, MI. Lucky weekend visitors are able to tour the old production facility at the top of the hour beginning at noon. I believe the old facility is still used to brew small, experimental batches.  I was able to snag some pictures while on the tour of conicle fermenters and oak barrels, which are used to make sour beers.


Our tour guide was passionate about Bell's and the brewing process, and mentioned that Bell's uses their own special yeast in the brewing process. This Bell's exclusive yeast is used in the brewing process for every Bell's beer. For those not familiar with the brewing process, the yeast plays a role in fermentation. Yeast is a living organism that consumes the carbs/sugar in the beer, producing the alcohol. Yeast also plays a role in the flavor and aroma of beer.


If you happen to visit Kalamazoo, be sure to stop in at Bell's - it is a truly a divine place.

http://www.bellsbeer.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment