Friday, October 14, 2011

Bell's Brewery Brown Ale


 At lunch today I ordered the Bell’s seasonal that was on tap - the Brown Ale (think Newcastle). I am not a big fan of brown ales…but I liked this one. It had a good color, good aroma, you could pick up the caramel flavor, and the bitterness was at a minimum. The beer was much better than the service, which left me wondering if the server personally went to Bell’s to pick it up. (Note: Sam Adams Oktoberfest in the background).


You can see the beer had good lacing - the foam near the top of the glass (i.e. the lacy pattern). Lacing occurs when the bitter compounds from the hops link proteins in the beer together. Some feel the more lace the better quality ingredients in the beer. While I really enjoy Sam’s Oktoberfest, note its lack of lace. I’m not an expert, I’ve been told some types of beers have better lacing than others. But I wonder if it may be due to quantity produced? Does anyone reading know?

No comments:

Post a Comment