Sunday, October 23, 2011

Black Lotus

Friday night I was able to catch happy hour at Black Lotus (on 14 Mile Road in Clawson).  They were featuring $2.50 pints and half off all appetizers.


Black Lotus will always have a special place in my heart - it is the central meeting place for my college friends, and the brewery that took my bierginity.  There was a time when I only knew commercial beers without flavor - meant to be served cold so you had no idea how bad they actually were.  In those days I tried the Funkin' A Apricot Wheat (5.0% ABV).  I was instantly hooked - I couldn't believe beer could taste good, and I loved the sweet apricot flavor.  It's still one of my favorite beers.

Friday I ordered the Monster Mash Pumpkin Ale, which was delicious.  The first flavor to hit my mouth was pumpkin, and I was left with a spice aftertaste.  It didn't have the sweet vanilla flavor of the Michigan Brewing Company's Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale, which you may prefer depending on your taste.  Black Lotus Monster Mash Pumpkin Ale is definitely one of my favorites of this season.

Note: Monster Mash Pumpkin Ale on left, Funkin' A Apricot Wheat on right.

Black Lotus also has a Black Bottom Oatmeal Stout on tap, which I may need to try later this week. In addition to the beer, they have great specials - happy hour (4-6pm), reverse happy hour (12m-2am), and a lunch time $6 burger/pint special.  The beers on tap and specials can be found on their website.  If you get a chance, order their Magic Mushroom Melt sandwich and the sweet potato fries...they are to die for.

http://blacklotusbrewery.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment