Monday, November 14, 2011

Bastone Belgian Brewery Review

I decided to take advantage of the Living Social deal a few weeks ago and purchased a Lifetime Beer Club Membership to Bastone brewery in Royal Oak. I visited Bastone on a Friday night, which can be a nightmare in Royal Oak, but I found parking within a city walking block. The host told us we would have a 45-60 minute wait, and we could order beers at a discount downstairs at Commune while we waited. We immediately went downstairs and our buzzer went off before the bartender could even finish our drink order.


Bastone is a Belgian style brewery located at the corner of 5th and Main in downtown Royal Oak. Connected to different destinations, Bastone is above Commune (a dance club), next to Vinotecca (a wine bar) and in front of Cafe Habana (a Cuban restaurant).

I ordered a Harvest Ale, a brown ale which had hints of pumpkin. It was good, but I have had better pumpkin beers. Someone else in my party ordered the Witface, a white beer brewed with orange, lemon and coriander, which was also good.


While the beer at Bastone was good, the food is overpriced and the atmosphere lacked the community feel of most other breweries I have visited. The crowd seemed like a meat market at a dance club, and soon after we arrived we had to yell over the thumping from Commune. Even the t-shirts for mug club members were only available in men's sizes and fits (mine went straight into the rag bin).

I had heard good things and had high hopes for Bastone, and I was disappointed. I don't plan to go back on a weekend evening, but may give it a second chance on a weekday mug club night.

http://bastone.net/br/bastone-brewery

No comments:

Post a Comment