Friday, November 4, 2011

Grand Trunk Pub

A few nights ago I had the fortune of attending an event at the Grand Trunk Pub on Woodward Avenue in downtown Detroit.  Located near Campus Martius Park, this is pub a gem for Detroiters wanting to get their local brew on.


From the moment I saw the door, I knew I was among friends. I told the waitress my taste preferences (a porter or stout, sweet versus dry), who recommended the Coal Stoker's Blackberry Ale from the Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company. It was love at first sip; a combination of their raspberry wheat with their stout. The result was sweet, the flavor from the blackberries and raspberries reminded me of a berry cobbler.

And check out that lacing:

I moved onto my second beer from Mt. Pleasant, their Gambler's Golden Ale. While I did not love it as much as the Coal Stoker's, it was still very good. According to Mt. Pleasant, this beer pairs well with spicy food, so if you have something hot on the menu you may want to check it out.


Grand Trunk Pub will be on my list of places to visit again. I did not order off the menu, but the food coming from the kitchen looked delicious. And the beer menu was amazing, from Atwater to Founders to Shorts to Jolly Pumpkin, this pub had it all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment