Saturday, November 19, 2011

Jolly Pumpkin Cafe & Brewery

Last week I visited the Jolly Pumpkin Cafe & Brewery located on South Main Street in downtown Ann Arbor.


Walking in I had high hopes, the Jolly Pumpkin Restaurant in Traverse City is one of my favorites - the food there is amazing and the beer selection features brews from North Peak and Jolly Pumpkin. The Ann Arbor Jolly Pumpkin left much to be desired. It was the first stop of many on our Michigan brewery vacation, and I can't imagine we'll go back.


Being a dark beer fan, I strayed from the Jolly Pumpkin sours and ordered a Tortuga chocolate stout (made with real chocolate). I ordered a half pint as this was our first stop, and I'm glad I did. The beer was horribly bitter, and was served warm (perhaps it cask, but wasn't advertised as such). Chocolate stouts are one of my favorites, but I did not like this one at all. (Note: JP Bam Biere on left, Tortuga on right).

We ordered lunch, we split a cobb salad and pizza. The salad was good, and the restaurant gave us two small plates instead of making us eat off the same large plate. We ordered the Carnivores pizza (i.e. meat lovers), it was somewhat greasy.

While the decor inside Jolly Pumpkin Cafe & Brewery was fun, overall it was a disappointing experience. We'll save ourselves for the Traverse City location.

http://www.jollypumpkin.com/annarbor/Default.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment